top of page
Student Sponsor Compliance Duties




We provide immigration advice and guidance to international students and educational organisations in the UK

Student sponsors are expected to play a part in ensuring that the system is not abused. They are required to fulfil certain duties and ensure that immigration control is maintained in order to gain and retain a Student sponsor licence.

Sponsorship is a privilege and not a right. Sponsors benefit directly from migration and are expected to play a part in ensuring that the system is not abused. Sponsors must therefore fulfil certain duties, in order to ensure that immigration control is maintained. Providers must be able to show that they can fulfil, and are fulfilling, these sponsor duties in order to gain and retain a Student sponsor licence. 

What are the Student Sponsor Duties 

When UKVI carries out a Basic Compliance Assessment (BCE),  it will assess the sponsor on the following core requirements. The sponsor must have:

  • Act with honesty and integrity in all their dealings with the Home Office. This includes (but is not limited to) ensuring all statements made to the Home Office are true and that all relevant information is disclosed to the Home Office.

  • Take responsibility for all their sponsored students during the sponsorship period. This includes a responsibility to ensure that prospective students are genuine students who can comply with the Immigration Rules, and that following enrolment, students comply with their conditions of leave and see their course through to completion.

  • Ensure that any concerns about the conduct and integrity of students and child students are treated fairly and consistently with other students.

  • Comply with all aspects of the Immigration Rules and sponsor guidance. For example, providers must be proactive in ensuring that each individual student at their institution has permission to study in the UK throughout the duration of their course.

  • Co-operate with the Home office by allowing its staff immediate access to any of their sites on request. This includes unarranged visits.

  • Comply with requests for information.

  • Ensure their website and other advertisements accurately reflect their current Student sponsor status.

What are the Student Sponsor Specific Duties 

  • All Student sponsors must retain all of the documents listed in Sponsor Guidance Appendix D and must do so in accordance with guidance set out therein.

  • Student sponsors are also under a specific duty to report on all the students and child students that they themselves sponsor, regardless of whether that student is currently studying at their own institution, a partner institution or on a work placement. Sponsors must notify UKVI if they become aware that any of the students they are sponsoring have been granted leave with the incorrect conditions of stay, if they have reported something through the Sponsorship Management System (SMS) incorrectly or if there are changes that could affect their student sponsor licence. 

  • Any providers that sponsor children to study in the UK under the Child Student route will have additional responsibilities. This often includes ensuring that appropriate policies and procedures are in place for the safety and wellbeing of the children it sponsors.

To discuss your Student Sponsor compliance or duties needs please contact our expert immigration advisors on +44 7513621625 or schedule consultation below.

Anchor 1



Premium Visa Solutions is the leading provider of STUDENT, GRADUATE and  SHORT-TERM (ENGLISH LANGUAGE) visas for international students coming to study in the UK.

We're here to help you with your visa application, offer expert advice, and have a wealth of resources at your fingertips


We offer immigration law services in the UK, with a focus on immigration applications to study, work or do business.


Our immigration advisers take time to understand your personal situation and provide you with advice on the best route for you. You can choose from a wide range of services from:
- Student visa advice - Child Student visa advice - Parent of a Child visa advice - Graduate visa advice - Skilled Worker visa advice - Start-Up and Innovator visa help - And much more...

bottom of page