top of page
Enguire now about UK Settlement (Indefinite leave to remain) application




Our professional immigration lawyers are the experts in providing professional immigration advice on the Settlement application.

We shall guide you through the Settlement application process helping you to maximise your chances of success.

Students who have been living in the UK for 10 continuous years may be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR), also known as settlement, under the 10-year long residence route. This status allows individuals to stay in the UK without any restrictions.

You may be granted Settlement (also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain or ILR) status only after you have stayed in the UK lawfully without any major breaks or gaps in your residence for 10 continuous years. This settlement status can provide many benefits, such as being able to work and access public services without restriction. It also allows you to apply for British citizenship after a further 12 months of residence in the UK.

Who needs to apply for Settlement in the UK 

To settle in the UK, you must have permission to stay, known as 'leave to remain'. This can be in any immigration category, or a combination of different immigration routes. 

There are some immigration categories which DO NOT in themselves lead to Settlement (ILR), for example:

  • Child Student

  • Student

  • Graduate

  • Start-Up

However, if you have been living in the UK with a permission to stay under one of these immigration routes, then you may qualify for Settlement (ILR) status considering that you spent at least 10 years in the UK combining time spent under some of these categories.

What are the Settlement (Long Residence) requirements?

  • You have spent a period of at least 10 years residing in the United Kingdom continuously and lawfully; and

  • Your 10 year period of lawful residence is unbroken; and

  • There are no public interest reasons why it would be undesirable to grant you indefinite leave to remain; and

  • There are no general grounds for refusing your application (such as a relevant criminal conviction); and

  • You have demonstrated sufficient knowledge of the English language and about life in the United Kingdom; and

  • You are not in the United Kingdom in breach of immigration laws.

When to apply for Settlement (Long Residence) requirements

Apply from inside the UK: 

You can submit your application as soon as you meet all the eligibility criteria, rather than waiting until your current visa expires, but the earliest you can submit an application is 28 days prior to completing the qualifying period.

To discuss your UK Settlement (ILR) application please contact our Student Visa lawyers on +44 7513621625 or schedule consultation below.

Global Universities list
Anchor 1



Premium Visa Solutions is the leading provider of STUDENT, GRADUATE and  SHORT-TERM (ENGLISH LANGUAGE) visas for international students coming to study in the UK.

We're here to help you with your visa application, offer expert advice, and have a wealth of resources at your fingertips


We offer immigration law services in the UK, with a focus on immigration applications to study, work or do business.


Our immigration advisers take time to understand your personal situation and provide you with advice on the best route for you. You can choose from a wide range of services from:
- Student visa advice - Child Student visa advice - Parent of a Child visa advice - Graduate visa advice - Skilled Worker visa advice - Start-Up and Innovator visa help - And much more...

bottom of page