top of page
Work-related Training Visit Visa is special visa for overseas graduates from medical, dental or nursing schools




The Work-related Training Visit Visa is a special visa for overseas graduates from medical, dental or nursing schools. This visa allows them to come to the UK and undertake clinical attachments or dental observer posts which are related to their qualifications.


It is also available for employers who want to bring in an overseas employee for training purposes.

Typically  the training should typically be classroom based or involve familiarisation or observation.

This visa  is a sub-category of the Standard Visitor route, which is a route for persons who wish to visit the UK for a temporary period of up to 6 months. 

Who needs to apply for Work-related Training Visit visa

This visa is ideal for overseas doctors, dentists, nurses and midwives or employees of an overseas company who want to undertake a specific training which is not available in their own country or pass certain tests allowing them to work in the UK:

  • Unpaid Clinical Attachment VisitsGraduates from medical, dental or nursing schools who want to undertake an unpaid clinical attachment or dental observer post in the UK for the first time

  • PLAB Test Visits: international doctors who qualified abroad are required to take Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test to make sure that they have the right knowledge and skills to practise medicine in the UK. The visa application has to be supported by a written confirmation from General Medical Council.

  • OSCE Visits: overseas nurses and midwives have to take the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) test  to ensure that they have the right skills and qualities before they start work in the UK

  • On-site Training Visits: overseas employee can come and learn how to use a piece of equipment in the UK 

What are Work-Related Training visa requirements

The Work-Related Training is a sub-category of the Standard Visitor route. You have to meet all general Visitor visa requirements such as:

  1. Visa National: Applicants must belong to a visa national category.

  2. Genuine Purpose: The reason for entering the UK should be authentic and aligned with the purposes permitted under the visitor routes.

  3. Additional Eligibility: Meeting the additional eligibility criteria for visitors who come to the UK for study, specifically for a duration of up to 6 months.

  4. Prohibited Activities: Applicants should not engage in any activities prohibited by the visa regulations.

  5. Sufficient Funds: Having enough financial resources to cover the costs of travel, maintenance, and accommodation during the visit.

  6. Departure Commitment: A commitment to leave the UK at the end of the authorized visit.

  7. Not Main Residence: The UK should not be intended as the main home or place of residence.


For those planning to take OSCE or PLAB tests, there will be a need to provide additional documents as part of the application process.

When to apply Work-related Training Visit visa

Apply from outside the UK:

You need to be outside thte UK to apply for this visa. 

The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel to the UK.

It will take up to 3 weeks to receive the decision on your Work-Related Training Visitor visa application. 

You may be able to receive the decision faster. This depends on what country you’re in.


Fast tracked processing times for a premium fee are:


  • within 5 working days (‘priority service’)

  • by the end of the next working day (‘super priority service’)

To discuss your UK Work-Ralated Training Visit Visa application please contact our expert immigration advisors on

+44 7513621625 or schedule consultation below.

    Standard Visitor visa is for individuals who wish to come to the UK for a temporary period of up to 6 months for the purpose of tourism, business, study (courses up to 6 months) and other permitted activities. The Short-term Student Visa (English Language) is a route for a person aged 16 and over who wants to study an English language course in the UK for between 6 and 11 months.
  • What is OSCE test?
    The OSCE test, which stands for Objective Structured Clinical Examination, is a practical exam that assesses how well someone can apply their medical knowledge and skills in real-life situations. It's commonly used to evaluate future doctors or healthcare professionals. In simple terms, the OSCE test is a hands-on exam that checks if future doctors or healthcare professionals can put their medical knowledge into practice in a realistic and structured way.
  • What are the additional visa application documents for coming to the UK to take PLAB or OSCE tests?
    When coming to the UK to take the PLAB or OSCE test, you may need to provide additional visa documents to support your application. While specific requirements can vary, here are common documents that may be requested: Confirmation of Test Booking: Provide evidence of your booking for the PLAB or OSCE test. This could include confirmation emails or letters from the testing center. Letter from the General Medical Council (GMC): The GMC may issue a letter confirming your eligibility to take the test. This letter can be an essential document for your visa application. Proof of Qualifications: Submit copies of your medical qualifications and certificates to demonstrate your eligibility for the PLAB or OSCE test.
  • Is there the English Language Requirement when applying for any Work-related Training Visit Visa ?
    If you are applying for a Work-related Training Visit Visa, you do not need to meet the English language requirement. This visa allows individuals to come to the country for work-related training purposes, and the English language proficiency is not a prerequisite for this specific visa category. However, the General Medical Council (GMC), which administers the PLAB test, requires candidates to demonstrate their proficiency in English to ensure effective communication and patient safety. The commonly accepted English language proficiency test for PLAB is the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). You will need to take the academic version of IELTS. You need to score of at least 7.0 in each testing area (reading, writing, lisyening and speaking) and an overall score of 7.5.
  • What do I need to know about Clinical attachments?
    Some international medical graduates prefer to gain experience in the NHS through a clinical attachment. This is often done either right before taking part two of the PLAB test or immediately after passing it. You can read a full Clinical Attachment Guide here
  • What is PLAB test?
    Your Guide to the PLAB Test The PLAB test, or Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board test, is a way to ensure that doctors who completed their education outside the UK have the necessary knowledge and skills to practice medicine in the country. Do You Need to Take the PLAB Test? If you graduated from a medical school outside the UK, European Economic Area (EEA), or Switzerland, chances are you'll need to take the PLAB test. This test ensures that you possess the same knowledge and abilities as a doctor beginning the second year of their Foundation Programme training in the UK. What's Involved in the PLAB Test? The test consists of two parts. Part 1 is a written multiple-choice exam with 180 questions. Part 2 is a practical Objective Structured Clinical Exam (OSCE). Both parts must be passed before you can apply for registration with a license to practice medicine in the UK. Requirements Before Taking PLAB: Before taking the PLAB test, you need to create a GMC Online account and demonstrate that your medical qualification and English proficiency meet the necessary standards. Once verified, you can book your place for part 1 of the PLAB test. PLAB Part 1: PLAB 1 is a written exam comprising 180 multiple-choice questions that you must answer within three hours. The questions present short scenarios followed by a choice of five possible answers. Part 1 can be taken in various countries, and you can check available locations and dates on GMC Online. PLAB Part 2: PLAB 2 is an Objective Structured Clinical Exam (OSCE) consisting of 16 scenarios, each lasting eight minutes. It aims to simulate real-life settings, such as mock consultations or scenarios in an acute ward. Part 2 tests are conducted throughout the year at the clinical assessment center. After Passing PLAB 1 and PLAB 2: Once you pass both parts, you can apply for registration with a license to practice. Your application must be approved within two years of passing part 2. After approval and gaining registration, you can work as a doctor in the UK.
  • What course can I study under the UK Student visa route?
    If you are a prospective student applying for the UK Student Visa, you can opt for a number of courses: A full-time course resulting in a qualification under degree level (RQF level 3, 4, or 5) that encompasses a minimum of 15 hours of organised daytime study every week; A full-time course culminating in a qualification at degree level or above (RQF level 6, 7, or 8); A full-time course at degree level or above (RQF level 6,7 or 8) equivalent to a UK higher education course, delivered as a component of a more extended overseas programme; A part-time course leading to a qualification that transcends the degree level (RQF level 7 or higher); A certified foundation programme for postgraduate doctors or dentists, provided you have acquired a recognised UK degree in medicine or dentistry. This necessitates receiving that degree from a registered student sponsor and dedicating your final year, alongside at least one additional year of studies, towards achieving that degree in the UK; An English language course standing at level B2 or higher, as per the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
  • What is CAS?
    The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a unique electronic reference number that is generated by the UK's visa system, referred to as the Student route (which was previously known as Tier 4). It's issued to international students who have been offered a place to study at a UK educational institution. Your educational institution, or 'student sponsor,' generates your CAS once they've offered you a place on a course. It contains information about you, your course, your qualifications, and evidence of your financial status. The CAS number is crucial to your Student Visa application, as it verifies to the UK Home Office that you've been accepted to study at a recognized educational institution in the UK. The CAS is also digitally linked to your other application information, so the Home Office can access all the necessary details to process your visa application. A single CAS number is only valid for one Student Visa application, and it's important to note that the CAS expires six months after issuance.
  • Can I extend my UK Student visa?
    Extend your UK student visa to continue your course or pursue a new one. This applies to those with a current Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa. To qualify, you must: Be in the UK on a Student or Tier 4 (General) student visa. Have an unconditional offer from a licensed student sponsor, verified by your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). Demonstrate that your new course is at a higher academic level than your current one (some exceptions apply). If your current visa duration is less than 12 months, prove you have sufficient funds. Your partner or children must apply separately. Academic progress requirements apply, and your new course must be at a higher level or related to the previous one. Some exceptions exist, such as resitting exams or completing a PhD. Apply online three months before your course starts, ensuring your new course begins within 28 days of your current visa expiring. Apply within six months of receiving your CAS. You can remain in the UK during the application process.
  • Dependents of International Students
    As of January 2024, changes to the UK's Immigration Rules affect the ability of international students to bring dependants. The new rules impose restrictions on bringing dependants for students under the Student route, particularly those studying postgraduate courses starting on or after 1 January 2024. Under these changes, students who are studying a postgraduate course starting on or after 1 January 2024, and who do not fall into any other categories of students eligible to have dependants, can only bring dependants to the UK (under the Student route) if their course falls into one of the specified categories: A PhD course A doctoral qualification A research-based higher degree The term "Research-based higher degree" is defined in the Immigration Rules, referring to a postgraduate program that includes a research component, with an emphasis on producing original work. Importantly, for a program to be considered a "Research-based higher degree," the research component must be larger than any accompanying taught component, measured by student effort. These changes reflect a more restrictive approach to dependants of international students, limiting the eligibility for bringing family members to the UK under the Student route.
  • Applications for Settlement by Students
    The Student category does not lead to settlement in the UK. The length of time that you may stay in the UK will vary according to the type of course that you will be studying. If you are 18 years old or over and your course is at degree level, you will usually be able to stay in the UK as a Student for up to 5 years. If your course is below degree level, you will usually be able to stay in the UK on the Student route for up to 2 years. There are exceptions to the above rule, including, for certain subjects such as architecture, medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine and science, law and some music courses. Student Visa holders may be eligible to extend their stay into other immigration routes which can lead to settlement. If you have spent 10 years continuously and lawfully in the UK then you may qualify for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of 10 years Long Residence.
Anchor 1



Premium Visa Solutions is the leading provider of STUDENT, GRADUATE and  SHORT-TERM (ENGLISH LANGUAGE) visas for international students coming to study in the UK.

We're here to help you with your visa application, offer expert advice, and have a wealth of resources at your fingertips


We offer immigration law services in the UK, with a focus on immigration applications to study, work or do business.


Our immigration advisers take time to understand your personal situation and provide you with advice on the best route for you. You can choose from a wide range of services from:
- Student visa advice - Child Student visa advice - Parent of a Child visa advice - Graduate visa advice - Skilled Worker visa advice - Start-Up and Innovator visa help - And much more...

bottom of page